Sunday 3 November 2013

Retreat! Retreat! All my plans are simple! Retreat!

         There's always a slow fuzzy bit after I waken up from the doze I have after lunch, and I'm trying to do a wee bit of work then. But so far, having been here three days already, most of it has been trying to work the netbook! Even doing a wee bit of writing shows how relaxed I'm becoming. Normally when I'm down here I just meditate or read really; sometime walk around the stupa, stand on my head, etc. But not working! The afternoon is the worst time to meditate anyway. Yesterday, I put on the long johns and sat in the wee shelter for nearly two hours as the wind blew and the rain fell on the roof.

          It's usually on the fourth day that everything comes together. The Nicotine Dragon has been subdued and the meditations have started to become fantastic.

          Off now to do some tai chi in front of the stupa (cold hands!) and a bit of stretching before the first session for Doctor Akong. It's been very easy to visualise him since he passed away. Maybe that's a coincidence. Maybe not.

5 comments:

  1. Well donne getting through breakfast without dozing off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say!

    Up at the Masongola the other evening I was talking to the old-timers, some of whom must be about your age. Barry Feathers - 'Bushy' to his friends due to his magnificent 'tash - reckoned he started to doze off in the afternoons a year or so back. Of course, three MGTs for lunch probably helps.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mingin'! I eat a giant lunch here. Food is the only indulgence hereabouts and I put twice as much on my plate as I would at home. Also, it is delicious and prepared by volunteers who have promised not to spit in it, unlike the exploited who work for minimum wages in the kitchens of restaurants feeding the evil bourgeois.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say!

    I used to enjoy stories told by my dear Papa, MM II, about his time as a DC in Vanuatu. There, or rather especially in Tana, they reckon the best way to prepare kava is to get virgin boys to chew it before further preparation. Their spittle apparently adds a certain something to the potency.

    ReplyDelete
  5. According to Ralwin's Postulate, premastication and mouth-to-mouth feeding in humans evolved from the regurgitation of food from parent to offspring or male to female (courtship feeding) and has been observed in numerous mammals and animals of other species.

    ReplyDelete