Sunday 4 December 2011

Networking

Sunday 2:30 p.m.
                           I don't like meeting folk I don't know. I certainly don't like meeting folk when I'm trying to get something off them or convince them of something. As for pitching something to a director or producer ... that was one of the reasons why I was happy to stop writing drama. One time I didn't mind all this networking stuff so much, but I can't say I ever enjoyed it.

                           Once I was personally rather friendly with a publisher here in Edinburgh, but I let the connection slip partly because I didn't think it was cool to be so friendly with a publisher. With me being a writer and whatnot, it didn't seem like a meeting of equals once his publishing business got on the up and up.

                            Anyway, the consiglieri asked me to arrange a meeting with Allan Guthrie. and we'll be seeing him on Tuesday afternoon. Fortunately, I've met Allan before. He seemed to have liked Are You Boys Cyclists? which he said he read twice back to back when he was working in Waterstone's. He's now a writer  - a very good crime writer. I've read THREE of his books which is some kind of a record for me these days. If you like crime books, check him out.- and he's been an agent for ages, but now it turns out he's also a publisher. I just googled him, as you do, and he's started something called Blasted Heath.

                            I have some memory of the consiglieri mentioning this venture, but we were well into our cups by that time. Hmm? I'm starting to get a feeling now that this is a meeting I don't want to be at.

                            The time I had a chat with Allan I told him that I was spending most of my time these days trying to emanate as a deity. This is really what I want to do. It's what deity yoga is all about, one of the meditational exercises you do while practising vajrayana Buddhism.

                             I think after getting a royalty payment of £10:88 after having my ebooks priced at 86p for a month, I should rest on my laurels!

                             Allan Guthrie seemed like a very nice guy and it'll be nice to speak to him again. But I'm not interested in talking to him about making money or anything like that. How totally uncool that would be!

                           

2 comments:

  1. I think you should look on this as a possible way to get more people to read what you have written, rather than as a way to make money.

    If you're uncomfortable with the concept of making money, you could always refuse to take a cut. That would get them thinking.

    Blasted Heath impressed me, when I saw them mentioned in various places. Their concept is: "We see digital publishing as an exciting opportunity for readers to find the books they want to read, and for authors to bring those books to market."

    So, you can tell Allan you're interested in the first part of that, but you don't want to benefit materially from the second part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rods! I'm going to be filthy, filthy rich!! I just don't like doing business with anyone about anything. But I've no problem with people just giving me money like these nice Kindle people!

    ReplyDelete