Friday 2 May 2014

Lovely Day!







          Let's have more days like this!! I went up the allotment and then had a walk through the Botanics. I found a great spot to do a bit of meditation there today.

           I found out that the BBC radio drama folk didn't want the script I sent in. Here's what the email said:

I’m sorry to have kept you waiting.  I enjoyed Samsara – some of the lines and situations were very entertaining.  As you say it’s an absurdist black comedy. It reminded me at times of Edward Bond.   I just find it hard to think where it might sit on Radio 4.  It’s fairly brutal stuff for the afternoons – and yet that’s where almost all the new writing goes.  I could see this working really well on stage where the audience would enjoy the absurd situation and the blackness of the humour but it also felt to me primarily a theatrical situation – one set-up, one dynamic, and no real story once you’d bought in to the basic premise – and I think the lack of a story would make it harder to hold on to an audience on radio. So, I’m afraid that it’s a no from me – but if you’ve still got theatre contacts I’d go down that road.  Again, I apologise for the delay in considering your script and I’m sorry that I can’t offer you a more positive response.

          That is a very fair response. Samuel Beckett can get away without having much of story line, but I'm not Samuel Beckett! The boy's dead right really. Who wants to listen to folk stabbing each other and swearing and eating bits off each other in the middle of the afternoon.

          The main thing is that I really enjoyed the writing ... well, it was really more like hacking or editing a not very good stage play. Anyway, I'm not going to finish it, but I'm happy that I understood how to improve it. And it didn't take me hardly any time at all. You never know. One of these days I might bulk it up again and re-write it for the stage.

           I feel quite relieved that I don't have to go to meetings with producers and actors and all. If I need to write, I'll stick to prose. Writing at all is a distraction  really since what I would love to be able to do is get myself sorted out so I follow the short path!!!

          

1 comment:

  1. It sounds good for the stage. Albert

    ReplyDelete