Tuesday 13 November 2018

Where The Buddha died and was cremated

     










 

  We're in Kushnigar. The longer I am away from off-licences and all that jazz, the happier I am becoming. Last night we got to Kushnigar after visiting the Ragram Stupa. The roads coming here seemed much better, but most of the time I'm hanging on the handles on the back of the seat before me, and sitting in a half lotus, trying to meditate. This works perfectly for the first few hours, but is less successful as the day progresses and you get tireder. But the minibus journeys and everything else are getting easier and easier as the purification and accumulations kick in.
           
          This Royal Residency is even swankier than the ones before. There is wi-fi in the bedroom and you get toothbrushes, combs, razors, etc. Also, green tea which I'm trying just now. No roughing it so far on the pilgrimage.

           I had a lovely meditation in front of the stupa where the remains were placed. Well done to the archaeologists who dug these places up. All the stupas seem to have been constructed with fillers of red brick. Never seen any with big stone blocks or that. Remember Narlanda was the same three years ago.

            Stuck me that the hotel I stayed in at Bodh Gaya was called the Royal something. Wonder if it is the same chain. Be nice to go back there.

            All compounded things are subject to dissolution. Pursue your salvation with diligence. Walk on.

Later:
           Well, I wasn't at the place where he died this morning. I was there this afternoon. It's about two miles down the road, and there's a twenty foot statue of Buddha lying on his side going into paranirvana. The whole day has been kind of moving and wonderful. Before the stupa this morning I felt a great many things, resentments, annoyances, aggravations, just dissolving away. I wish this pilgrimage could go on and on and on. Meditating in these places is brilliant.

          Don't know where we are going tomorrow. Sure to be another magical spot!!

2 comments:

  1. I say!

    Well done for getting the photies to work.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't do anything and they are not working except for themselves. The machines are sniggering to each other and taking the piss!

    ReplyDelete