Monday 26 November 2018

Varanasi



Varanasi seems like a long time ago, but it was only yesterday. We went for a dawn boat ride. We did not see any bits of human beings floating passed, but I did see an almost submerged dead dog. However, there were big fishes jumping, so the river cannot be as polluted as they say. I don't remember any big or little fish in the Calder River when I was a kid.







There's a cremation going on in this photie, the only one I saw. Beside it, the building with the two chimneys is an electric crematorium, which is apparently cheaper.


The sun rising is red due to the pollution which is all over every bit of North India we have visited.


Piles of wood for the burnings.



Narrow streets and slums near the golden temple to Shiva, which we were told was the most sacred Hindu site. The queues are enormous and soldiers stood around with guns, here and there. There is a mosque nearby and this causes problems (probably due to everyone being an intolerant bastard.)



Breakfast started with chai.


Then rice porridge with banana.


Then four slices of toast with bananas and cheese. Great breakfast, but it's the only meal I've been eating. so they are all great.




Considering the other lifestyle choices around in India, painting yourself and sitting around getting wasted all day looks like a smart move. Any other visit, I'd have asked for a go of the boy's big chillum.




The tuk tuk back to the Deer Park took nearly an hour. My eyes were stinging from the fumes from the traffic. The driver was on the beetle juice. At the railway barrier he had to stop, but the bikes and motorbikes ducked underneath. Not British!!


We're staying at the Vajra Vidya Institute. It's one of  Thrangu Rinpoche's places. This is the temple. I took the photies before seeing the sign saying not to. 




I was sitting meditating here for a couple of hours. First someone came out with tea. When they reckoned I was meditating for a bit, someone put down a container of mossie repellant, but I didn't know what it was and didn't move. Then someone put on a light when it got dark. Bitten to hell of course, but it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment