Thursday 29 November 2018

Maybe the last Indian photies.


          We went to a temple complex beside the Deer Park yesterday. A bit of a tribute to the Sri Lankan guy who revived the Buddhist places. Below is a photie of some of the worst monumental sculpture you'll ever see. It's the Buddha giving his first sermon to the five yogis who gave up on him when he packed in the austerities.




         
          The first sermon was printed out on the stone and I found reading it quite moving.



The temple on the site with the inside below.


The temple in the monastery we were staying at - how much better the guest house was, being part of the monastery, with the lovely Tibetan temple on the grounds. The two photies below were in the temple "foyer".





I spent a couple of hours meditating in this spot, the first time the mossies loved me. I repelled them next time with repellant provided by the lama. 


We had breakfast three mornings with the wee monks. Burny beans and steamed bread every time, with milky sweet tea.




         We had a twelve hour overnight train to Delhi from Varanasi, which took seventeen hours. This is a bad photie of the lama fixing her sheet. I had the bunk across the way.


She dozed off reading with her head lamp on. Below is the breakfast I got. Chips, two burny vegetarian sausages, and a portion of tomato sauce I could not open. But the chai was good. 




1 comment:

  1. I say!

    Nice photies. Packing in the austerities is always fraught.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete