Sunday 1 November 2015

In the war against the machines again!

          I| took quite a few photies today up the allotment, but I cannot find them on my camera. Sometimes all this digital age crap can become a little irksome. Oh well.

           I didn't do much writing last week since I had some friends from Holland staying in my flat. Also, the last time I tried to write anything, I was trying to divide the prose into sections using some  of these *******. But when I hit the enter key, two think bands appeared. Well, one thicker than the other. I  could not get rid of them, try as I might, so I abandoned writing then. Tonight I started trying to get rid of them by using two copies of the text and cutting and pasting round the offending lines, but this did not work either. So they'll just have to stay there, at least for now. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

           |I was trying to read a book called Ridley Walker by Russell Hoban. This book is written in a way that I would never write since I try to make my prose simple. This book is written in a made up language, but it is good and probably worth persevering with. I also bought a second hand copy of The Story of Daniel by E.L. Doctorow. I read this book about thirty odd years ago and really enjoyed it, but I can go and read all the books I read in the long ago because I can't properly recall them. So reading it again should be a certain treat.

6 comments:

  1. I say!

    I'm not sure that I fully understand your problem with *s and with what a think band is, but possibly your word processor considers that number of *s as a line to be drawn across the page. Try using only three *s instead.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try it on yours and see if it does the same thing. Six ******
    and it didn't do it then. But you cannot get rid of the thick black lines. FFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say!

    If you press six ****** in Word and then Enter, it will turn into a line. Then press Ctrl + z (i.e. the Ctrl key and keeping it depressed then the z key) it will turn back to six ******

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the sake of posterity, this thread has been included in a volume I'm compiling: The Correspondence Of John McKenzie, Man Of Letters. It'll include transcriptions of video footage. My agent has asked me if I have your authorisation. Albert.

    ReplyDelete