Tuesday 11 February 2014

The Iceman Cometh




The bottom photie is of some crocuses in the Botties today. Is it not a bit early for them to come out?

I started watching The Iceman Cometh by Eugene O'Neil. I read the play about thirty odd years ago. I remembered being delighted with it because it featured anarchists and I'd read a lot about anarchists by that time. It's set mainly in the back room of a bar in New York in 1912 and the interesting thing is that only half the folk in the bar are American born. There's an English guy, a South African guy, and Irish guy, etc. Another interesting thing about it is that I remembered bugger all about it, apart from how much I enjoyed reading it and the anarchist angle. Long Days Journey Into Night is next!!

3 comments:

  1. I say!

    An English guy, a South African guy, and Irish guy, in a pub...what was the punchline?

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mingin'! No punchline, but it would put you off the fruit juice until you see what happens to the boy who gave up the fruit juice. Do you know the play? p.s. that's the punchline!! pps I didn't know it either. Dearie me! I'm going to see if I can download one about these folk turning into Rhinoceroses soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eugene O'Neill liked a swally, I think!

    ReplyDelete