Wednesday 8 January 2014

Samsara

           To clear up some loose ends before I go into retreat, I contacted Colin MacDonald yesterday to let him know that the BBC radio drama folk had never gotten back to me about the play. I sent them a letter about five or six weeks ago. Being an idiot, it turns out that I sent the letter to Queen Street here in Edinburgh when the drama operation for Radio Scotland hasn't be in Edinburgh for years. Oh well. Colin gave me the head of drama's email and so I sent off an email.

            I got a reply really quickly asking me to email the play. This was right in the middle of a packing spree, but I quickly looked over the script and sent if off along with some old clipping and my writing CV.

            The play is still a bit clunky and needs more work than just taking another quarter of an hour off it, but I think I'm better sending it off like that than spending a lot of time on it and then being disappointed. From what I know, you don't get things accepted by sending them to folk you don't know or who don't know you. Anyway, if the folk in Scotland are not interested, I will do some work on it when I get back from the retreat and try London, and anywhere else they produce radio drama. I'd like to get it right now whatever happens to it.

             As part of mopping up proceedings, I checked my gmail account yesterday, something I rarely do. I found an email from the wife of a guy I was most friendly with in my first year at University, Andy Young. Unfortunately, Andy passed away in 2004, so I guess he died when he was about fifty three. I was kind of pleased that he'd died of a heart attack. That is the best way to go in my opinion. It was also the opinion of Paramahansa Yogananda.

              Andy was kind enough to invite me to spend the summer at the end of my first year in Fort William where we worked on a building site for a day and then in the aluminium smelter for two months. That's when I started smoking fags. I didn't see anything of Andy after he left uni. He had four kids. Right now I can remember him so well. In many ways, quite a guy. Rest in peace.

4 comments:

  1. I say!

    Up in the Masongola the other night Spootie MacDingwall reckoned that they are going to delay the opening of the trams in Edinburgh again so that they can build overhead cycle lanes above them. Is that correct? We only hear rumours, here in Kalimbuka.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Andy.

    Good move to the smelter. Like you I tried builder's labouring after first year, not advisable for anorexics. I lasted about a week.

    Mingers. Bike lanes over the tram lines was my idea! Whom do I sue?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say!

    I don't understand why I'm not mentioned in this. After all, it is surely actually between Nasser and myself.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mingin'! I see Engerland are ditching their best South Efrican batsman. He walked passed me once and seemed really moody!

    ReplyDelete