Monday 10 October 2011

Are You Boys Cyclists?

Monday 10th October, 2011
          I  managed to get the last two books up onto Kindle last weekend. It's very simple to upload stuff onto Kindle, but not if you're an idiot like me. Unfortunately, I managed to misspell my name. It's under John McLKenzie, and I can't change that just now because for some unknown reason (probably more stupidity on my part!) I cannot get into my account just now. When I have regained access ...

         Are You Boys Cyclists? was published originally by Serpent's Tail in 1997. It was the fastest piece of writing I've ever done. I started writing it in August and finished at the start of February. I was expecting this to be the last book I'd write and thought when I couldn't get it published that I'd give up writing and train to be a school teacher. I don't think it would have been published if I hadn't been advised by a writer friend of mine to send the typescript to the home address of the publisher, Peter Ayrton. Anyway, it did get published and I got £1,000 advance, some of which I spent on a holiday to Nepal and India. This led to The Buddha And The Big Bad Wolf, also on Kindle.

          It's a true account of my time amateur boxing and a true, if somewhat jaundiced, account of my writing career up to that point. I'm sure I got it published because of the heavy sexual content, a lot of which was completely fictional though I found it difficult to get folk to believe that at the time!!

2 comments:

  1. Two thirds of the way down http://www.hw.ac.uk/libWWW/irn/irn31/irn31d.html there's a review of this book, written in 1997

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got it and posted it, and sorted out the duff paragraphing this morning!

    ReplyDelete