Tuesday 6 September 2016

Jock Tamson's Half Hearted Transformation.


          I've just finished reading the version of Jock Tamson's I sent into the radio folk a couple of years ago.I did that re-write near the start of my bereavement just to get on with something. Anyway, the trouble with the version I left unfinished about twenty years ago was that there was no second act. That means there was no proper development of the themes in the middle of the play. You have to have set up something in the middle so that the denouement works. Well, the play doesn't resolve itself properly even yet, but I think there's enough there to do another stage version. Since it was set in one locale, it would never have worked really on the radio. I did know that before I sent it into the beeb, of course, but at the time it made me feel as if I was in some kind of recovery.

         So I've got fifty pages of something that was originally about seventy pages long. So I chopped it down to an hour, but I can look at the original and it shouldn't take too long to bulk it up.

          I don't think I'm in one place at the moment long enough to commit three or four hours a day to writing a novel, but I can work on a play for an hour here and there, and that should do it, especially since the play is three quarters written already.

         After that, I may take a look at the crime book I abandoned when I retired about five years ago.

         I still haven't heard anything from William Clark Associates. I did read a comment from someone who said they took three months to get back to them. I wish I hadn't sent it to them now. Three months is too long to wait. That's four rejections in a year!! An author I know sent his first novel to over three hundred folk before he got it published. When  the rejection from these folk in New York arrives, after that the book will be going out four at a time!!

        Anyway, I'm going to New York in November for three nights. Love New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment