Wednesday 31 August 2016

Vase Breathing Instructions

       Image result for three central channels nadis



  Rajujublog, which I used to write when I blogged anonymously, gets hits every day - more than this blog anyway - because it comes up third when you google vase breathing instructions. Since I haven't received the rejection yet from William Clark Associates, I thought I'd write something about vase breathing since I know a bit more about it now.

          I've never used the vase breathing instructions that are in Rajujublog. I started getting an interest in this juju after I read The Bliss Of Inner Fire about fifteen years ago now. Because of reading this book, I took refuge as a Buddhist so I could get a guru since it said you needed one in the book to do the meditations.

          But you don't really need instructions from a guru if it's there already in the book. Anyway, I didn't follow the instructions on vase breathing techniques in that book. This is partly because I was warned off doing this stuff by my root guru about eight years ago and partly because I was never able to do the visualisations sufficiently well, I thought.

           Both sets of instructions tell you to move the attention up through the chakras as you go along. I think the dodgy guru's instructions tell you to do twenty vase breaths per chakra once you get it going. Since I was never able to get the visualisations steady, I've mostly kept my attention on the navel chakra symbol, though most times I wasn't even able to visualise that.

           So I've been practising  vase breathing and deity yoga for about fifteen years, but have never been able to visualise very well. My assumption was always that if you couldn't visualise the symbols and channels properly then you would never be able to consciously move the heat (when you got it!) up through the symbols in the central channel. Or, this might be dangerous.

            However, I was told by one of my gurus about three years ago that my channels were opened up. If that is the case, they'd been open for years and have continued to open up. I think this is because of the amount of bliss I've been getting for years.

             Anyway, despite everything (including my very unconducive lifestyle!!) I seem to be getting heat these days. Usually, I have to be meditating for a couple of hours beforehand, but the amount of heat I'm getting is certainly on the increase these days.

             So it says in The Bliss of Inner Fire that these kind of meditations are suitable for westerners because you don't have to believe anything for them to work. You just have to do them. Well, I'm living proof of that. It's obviously going to take a long time for them to work if you live like me, but I do seem to have got them to work a bit. Sufficiently anyway to make the rest of my life far more interesting than it would have been!!

         

4 comments:

  1. worth looking at Wim Hof Method. The Ice Man

    Generates inner heat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I apologize for my ignorance, but I would really like to know; I've looked up so much on the vase breath, but all I've found on the instructions for the physical breath is breathing in full, then out 85%. Please, can you describe the breathing to me? I would imagine the whole cycle is slow, however is that really all there is to know about the physical breathing portion?
    Thank you so much, this is greatly appreciated

    Sincerely,
    Dylan Sanborn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dylan, nice to hear from you. I am by no means an expert in this. Really you should be speaking to someone who has done at least a three year retreat and that's not me. Anyway, you breathe deeply, swallow a little and press down on your diaphragm and press up from your pelvic floor muscles. You shouldn't really do this stuff without a qualified backup (i.e. a lama!). If you have no access to anyone, you might be advised to read Gopi Khrishna's Living with Kundalini which describes the bad stuff that can happen. Of course, you should have meditation as your primary practice. Also, when it started to work for me some years ago, sometimes I felt uncontrollable judders particularly in my arms. A real practitioner told me this happens. So be careful and don't force it. I love doing this stuff. Just take it easy and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete