Friday 26 April 2013

Charles Bukowski



          Some hailstones fell as I walked to the allotment, so I took a wee walk round the Botanic Gardens instead of going to dig.

          I think I wrote in the blurb for Are You Boys Cyclists? that it might be enjoyed by someone who liked stuff by Charles Bukowski. Of course, Cyclists is not like anything by Charles Bukowski. I'd never read any Bukowski till I'd finished Cyclists and the first stuff I read by him was poetry. It was on the Holy Isle about eighteen years ago. Every now and again I come across a book by him and I almost always really like it, though sometimes the quality is a wee bit uneven. But Ham on Rye is a great book. The one I'm reading just now is called Hollywood. He tends to write the novels about versions of himself. He drinks a lot. I understand his despair. There's something desperately authentic about his stuff. I'm a big fan. He wrote this book when he was sixty five. There's hope for us yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment