Friday 2 March 2018

Malcolm McKenzie R.I.P.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, suit

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting and outdoor

          Today I was hoping to get through to Bellshill for the funeral of my wonderful nephew, my mother's first grandchild, Malcolm McKenzie. Unfortunately, there were no buses this morning to the train station and no trains to Bellshill in the morning anyway, so I had to change out of the funeral stuff and just sit here practising for him, for most of the day. It's probably too early right now to say much about this, but he will be surely sorely, sorely missed.

          Last year Malk had a diagnosis for a tumour on his bladder. It was removed. Because of this, I went on holiday with him last year to visit his brother and other folk, and go to Denmark and Hamburg. That was a very good idea, as it turned out. His mother passed away with cancer when he was maybe twelve and I thought he might be facing a near future with lots of chemotherapy and such, and have the hope that his passing the way he did - deep vein thrombosis, said the autopsy - was maybe a blessing. But we will all miss him. Died when he was fifty years old. Too young.

         Not getting to Bellshill today was hard. Harder than not getting to the Samye Ling for four days when I got the news about Malkand harder than not getting to the Holy Isle, where I was due to go on retreat for three weeks from the 27th February. The year so far says I should not make appointments. Everything I need is really here between my ears.
         

4 comments:

  1. och hotboy thats sore ...hadnt checked in for a while so sad to see this. i will chant akal and light a wee candle. hope you are ok
    loveandpeacexxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michelle. Too young, too sudden. duhka!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello John
    I'm Amanda, I knew Malcolm for over thirty five years. I loved him and over the past few years we were very close' He was so funny, intelligent and a true joy to be with, I miss his wit,humour, intellect and most of all my true love and best friend- Not a day goes by ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Amanda.
    I hope you are okay right now. I spoke to Malk about you when I went on holiday with him last year ... we went to Denmark and then went onto Hamuburg. I'd heard that he'd had an unfortunate diagnosis and, had been told it was clear, but I thought hanging about with him on this wee holiday might be a good idea since we are not guaranteed the time. And neither we are. He spoke very, very fondly of you, Amanda, and I hope kindness is all you ever feel when you think of him.

    ReplyDelete