Thursday 22 February 2018

Could consciousness be a field?

Image result for electromagnetic field


         I'm half way through the book about quantum gravity, so it's already lost me. But still very interesting.

         I have worked out what question to ask Prof Higgs the next time I see him on the bus!!

         Newton knew there was a problem with gravity operating through what seemed to be empty space.
         Faraday showed by the iron filings on the magnet that there are electromagnetic fields in the space between things.
         I think the Higgs Boson stuff showed that mass became part of particles when they move through a "field". Before that, I don't think there was an explanation as to why there was mass. All the explanations seem to be about "fields" these days!!

        In Dzogchen,  the example is of a light and a crystal. When the light is shown on a crystal, the effects are different to that when you shine the light on a stone. The physical make-up of the crystal is such that the light can shine through.

        If there is a field of consciousness, the same as the Higgs field, then consciousness or a basic awareness operates where it can dependent on the arrangement of matter. So don't expect to have a conversation with a stone, but a blade of grass can follow the sun, a cat must have what can appear in a cat, and us human beings can have a conversation about consciousness.

        I know I know bugger all about quantum mechanics and I realise this must be a very stupid idea, but I do find it quite satisfying.

       So the question when I see Prof HIggss on the bus is : Could consciousness be a field?

1 comment:

  1. I say!

    Well done for avoiding the maths.

    MM III

    ReplyDelete