Saturday 28 May 2011

Second Review of Bugtown!

Just found this review of Bugtown by someone called S.J. Macdonald from Wales. I do not know this person!!! Looks as if someone bought one of my ebooks!!


5.0 out of 5 stars
 
Starships and Aliens Review, 28 May 2011
By 
S. J. MacDonald (Wales) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   
This review is from: Bugtown (Kindle Edition)
Concept/World 
This a children's book written for the 11-14 age range. The setting is a mix of medieval town, aliens and dinosaurs, which I loved - one of the great things about children's fiction is when it jumps out of the box and is truly fantastic. 

Story 
There is certainly plenty of action in this story, which rips along at a good pace. I am still at a loss as to why Robert apparently kept being possessed by the spirit of Robert the Bruce, unsure as to who the King really was and why the Baby had to do what he did at the end of the story. Personally I'm fine with unresolved questions but readers who like all ends neatly tied off in clear explanation may find that unsatisfying. 

Characters 
I felt that Robert was more engaging than Rachel. She seems to be the generic "big sister" while Robert is portrayed in more depth with his problems making him a more sympathetic character. The baby was hilariously obnoxious and the King of the Beggars is a villain in the finest tradition of the Sheriff of Nottingham. 

Presentation 
The cover is amusing and a good fit for the content of the book. There are a few minor editing blarts (they're/their, broken paragraph, passed/past) which did not affect my enjoyment of the story. My Whispernet reader was jumping 12-14 locations at each page turn. I estimated it to be between 30-35,000 words (apologies if my maths is out), which makes it a quick read by adult book standards but a good length for young readers not yet ready to embark on epics. 

Overall ***** 
This book made me laugh out loud three times when I was reading, and I was often grinning at the banter and one-liners. I would certainly recommend it to anyone, kid or adult, who likes zany fun in their sci fi. Embrace the "wonderful shambles" and enjoy. 
Help othe

No comments:

Post a Comment