Tuesday 19 April 2011

City Whitelight

Tuesday 7:40 p.m.
                           City Whitelight was published in 1986, long before there were electronic/digital copies of novels, so I had to break up a hardback, scan it, and then edit the scan so that my friend can upload it to Kindle.  Of course, you have to read it while you're editing the scan. Must be more than twenty years since I last looked at that book.

                            When I first read it after it was published, I cringed and cringed, and didn't enjoy the experience at all. There was a typesetting error on the first page, which didn't help. Once I decided there were seven or thirteen good paragraphs in it - I can't remember which.

                             But this time when I read it I couldn't remember bits of it at all. And it must say I really quite enjoyed it. Here's what I wrote yesterday on my facebook page:

Just finished editing the scan of City Whitelight. Written by another joe a long time ago. Forgot a lot of it. Haven't read it for decades. Class war, ya bass! A wee gothic gem, so it was. I think I impressed myself this evening! Anybody wants a free look, just ask. Otherwise, it should be on Kindle as soon as the consigliere can do. Hurrah!


                     One of my facebook friends is Colin MacDonald who makes his living writing plays and screenplays, something which he is very good at, and left this very kind comment:


Colin MacDonald John it is a wee gothic gem. Wait, that sounds like a Sunday Post review. It is a shaft of brilliance illuminating a dark world. You are right to have been impressed!


                      I read that before going to work this morning. What a nice start to the day!


                          

No comments:

Post a Comment