Thursday 28 April 2011

Bugtown is on Kindle!



      
          I knew as soon as I finished In The Land Of The Demon Masters that I was going to have trouble getting anyone in the publishing business to read it, but I enjoyed writing it so much that I wanted to write another one. This time I reckoned I'd write something just for fun, something that kids might enjoy, something with a lot of humour in it.

          Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the cartoon, was phenomenally successful just over twenty years ago. The creator said he thought of all the things that were around at the time and just put these together. Ninja, mutants, teenage and turtles. So I remembered this when I was trying to think about what to write about for the second book for this age group. Aliens, alien abduction, time travel, dinosaurs, castles, knights, and sometimes funny! So that is what Bugtown is really about. And the main characters had to be siblings; one about eleven and one about fourteen, a boy and a girl. That covers the target audience, I guess.

          I couldn't get anyone to read it at all. I think I got two folk in the business to read the first one. That's why I'm so pleased to be able to put it on Kindle. I had a lot of school kids read these books and really like them, so I'm confident about the product.

          Since In The Land Of The Demon Masters owes so much to Tibetan history and mysticism, I sent a copy down to a nun I know who lives in the Samye Ling, a Tibetan Centre and Monastery. I wasn't expecting her to read it. I said she could pass it on to any buddhists she knew with twelve year old kids. There aren't a lot of books with buddhist connections for kids of that age. Anyway, I got this very nice response yesterday:


Thanks for sending your story.  I had a look at it and I think it's great.  We have a new tour guide for school groups so I've passed it on to her so she can use it for a rainy day activity.  Who knows, it may even generate some sales!

No comments:

Post a Comment